Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Generation Gap

I'm not exactly sure how I came across this article written for "J-wire", a website dedicated to young Jews living in Australia and New Zealand...quite a bit of clicking in Google News I suppose. However, I found it rather interesting that a different religion operating on the other side of the planet has nearly the exact same problems as SDA's in North America: youth and young adults becoming disenfranchised with a religious leadership that seeks to fit them into existing church and community models while resisting new ideas simply because they are...well...not old ones.

The author quotes another article in which the situation is penned almost flawlessly:

“Rather than focusing on giving the younger generations the tools to define their involvement and their identity—empowerment and enfranchisement—the vast majority of the organized effort has been geared toward retention and replacement.”

The article is kind of long but the similarities between Australian Jews and North American Adventism in terms of youth and young adult involvement are striking. The link is below.

http://www.jwire.com.au/featured-articles/the-generation-gap/15958

No comments: