Monday, June 6, 2011

"Neither"

“Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”

“‘Neither,’ he replied…”

Neither”. None of the above. Not A. Not B. Not anything.

Neither.” Really? I mean, maybe at first it makes sense…it’s just a guy standing out in the middle of nowhere with a drawn weapon who hasn’t decided who to fight for yet…but then he says he’s from heaven…and hasn’t chosen yet? Neither…really?!

This is God’s chosen people we’re talking about and you don’t know if you’re on our side?! What kind of confidence does that inspire? I thought we just crossed the Jordan in faith to take the land you promised us, God…and now your army commander is neutral? Should we go back? What kind of pep talk am I supposed to give these people? Neither?? Really??

Neither.” What do you mean “neither”? For two years…neither. I mean is that a joke? And now we’re here…in faith we crossed the country in a U-Haul…neither??! We had options God…good options. We could have ended up in MD or GA…but we didn’t because you pointed us here…and now you don’t know if you’re on my side? Now we’re broke, living and working in a place we didn't think we ever would you say NEITHER?! REALLY??!

“‘Neither.’ he replied, ‘but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.’”

“Neither.” Yeah…you heard me right. I’m not on “your” side and I’m not on “their” side…because I’m on MY side. I command God’s army, I’m here, and I’m about to handle MY business. The question isn’t whether or not I want to be on your side…it’s whether or not you want to be on mine. Check my track record…I don’t lose…ever. And I take care of whoever’s on my team…so they don’t lose either…ever. So Joshua, Donnie…you can keep worrying about who’s on your side and whether or not it will be enough…or you can join My side. Neither. What’s it going to be?

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow...I didn't see your conclusion coming, but that totally makes sense. It's very encouraging. Sometimes we have that old problem of scaling God down to our size, our little picture of Who we think He is. It's refreshing when He won't let us fit Him into that little box.

Experience: part of a balanced life said...

wow, awesome. neither.

kessia reyne said...

This reminds me of how I'm often asking God to be with me as I go, asking God to bless what I'm doing... But He's inviting me into His way and into His activities. I gotta join Him!

Andrea said...

P.S. You should check your blog profile, because I'm pretty sure you're not in Wawona any more as the CCC Associate Youth Director. I mean, it's ok if you want to keep it, just letting you know...