Saturday, December 4, 2010

Belly Flop

The word of the day = commit. I'm not diving expert but let me break it down. She has the right swimming equipment (cap, goggles, swimwear). She has the knowledge. She even is hinting at having some form. Here's her problem...she doesn't want to commit to the idea of having the part of her body that does the breathing and the thinking to enter the water first, thus being the furthest from the surface and the oxygen it provides. So again and again...for over half and hour...she does this:










I won't lie...I laughed. Am I a jerk? Probably. Still, it's not like I didn't do the exact same thing when I was learning how to dive. But as I watch this clip over and over I am beginning to identify with this family camper's struggle in a different light. Mainly, if I could pick one visual to describe how I feel my "career" in ministry is going, this would be it.

For the last 1.5 years I've been on the end of the leadership diving board. I have all the right equipment: a Macbook pro, super spiffy Pathfinder uniform, and a guitar. I have the "knowledge"...or at least a vague idea of what I'm supposed to do. From looking at other people's examples I can even pick up on some of the form. All I need to do is go for it. *FLOP* Danget.

I don't know if this lady ever learned how to properly dive. And right now I don't know if I ever will either. I guess all I can do is keep swimming over to the ladder to climb out and try again.

Lord teach me how to commit. Help me build the faith to stop acting out of self-preservation and dive in head-first because I know once I get over myself, ministry will be incredibly refreshing...and I need it soon because I don't know how much longer I can keep belly flopping...

2 comments:

laSonya said...

This is good Donnie. Hard to say, but very good.

Andrea said...

Awesome application.