Monday, November 8, 2010

Garmin God

“God’s Will.”

It’s like one of those “Magic Eye” books/calendars (Google it) that were on-fire popular during the 90’s. I remember browsing around one of those in-the-middle-of-the-mall-walkway kiosks with my family as a kid, staring at the trippy patterns, crossing my eyes, and moving the image closer and further from my face trying to get some sweet 3D image to appear so I could casually brag, “oh yeah, I see it.” Somehow it never mattered what I did. I never got to see the “rad” lone wolf howling at the moon or the “dope” fantasyland dolphins jumping out of the water at sunset.

Everybody else seemed to though. “Oh, there it is…wwwoooaaaaaahhhh.” Maybe they were all faking it so they could hide how dumb they felt for not seeing it either. I bet there were no awesome hidden pictures. Still, I never found the courage to yell, “The king has no clothes!”

With the exception of the Golden Grahams box, Magic Eye photos have gone the same way as Pogs and Trapper Keepers, but some things never change.

“God’s Will.”

I stare at it. Turn my head. Cross my eyes. Move it closer and further away from my face. I do all the tricks that people tell me so I can see it…and still it doesn’t ever seem to come into focus.

“Wait was tha-…oh…no never mind…Darn, I can never see these things…”

“God’s Will.”

I’ve heard countless sermons, worship talks, and conversations about it: For my life. For my future. For finding a spouse. For my job. For buying a house, a car…

You know, all the big stuff. That’s what counts isn’t it? Can’t I just plug in my end address to Garmin God so He can show me what to do at all the turns? I mean, I can set the cruise control for the rest…


Or should I ask God what He wants me to do this morning? Do I ask Him where I should eat lunch? Does He care where I stop to fill up? Or how much I spend on groceries? Is God’s Will for my life made up of His wills for my days? My weeks? My months?

“The problem with life is that it’s just too daily.” Bumper stickers always seem to say it best. The problem with me, however, is that I’m not. It seems I don’t think about God’s Will until I’m faced with a big decision. And then I gawk at it, turn my head, cross my eyes…

God forgive me for trying to make you into a Garmin, only paying attention when a turn comes up. I messed up by not being daily with You and now I don’t know what You would have me do in this decision. Give me spiritual eyes that I might see. Guide me in spite of myself. And teach me how to live Your Will daily…

4 comments:

Jessi Jo said...

Garmin God...yes, I have often wished for that too without knowing what I was wishing for.

I always ask for the fastest route...that is usually where I get the wait sign...a traffic jam of lots of thoughts, none working together, seems like no forward motion is happening at all.

kessia reyne said...

I relate. --and not just to the stupid Magic Eye thing.

laSonya said...

I appreciate your honesty. You gave words to my thoughts.

Andrea said...

I didn't know you couldn't see those Magic Eye things. Sorry. You really missed out. :) But I know you won't miss out on God's will. The good thing is, that if you're asking to be in His will, He'll help you do it, even when you don't realize you are doing it.