I won’t lie…I’m a little disappointed. Maybe it has something to do with not being able to get on the snowboard hill until 3 hours before closing because somebody didn’t chain up and wrecked, closing the road ALL morning. Or maybe it has something to do with my awesome new fancy snowboard boots being a let down because they are too big, and now unreturnable because they were worn for an hour.
But most likely it’s because upon returning home I received an email that pushed the big, red button deep down in my soul marked “DO NOT PUSH”.
It was one of those “you’re awesome but not really” types of messages. The kind that tell you how “great” you are doing and then cue you in on what you did that sucked…which is the real reason for the message anyway.
This particular case pertained to a recent youth event. Naturally the event was “really good”…except for not really. The catch? What else…music. Apparently my choice of music that “I think had Christian words…” (A.K.A. Jadon Lavik’s “Roots Run Deep” album, consisting entirely of hymns) was “worldly and inappropriate for a Christian group” because of the “emphasized beat”.
Ah yes, the “Demon Beat”. Don’t get me wrong. I 100% acknowledge the fact that, especially within the Seventh-day Adventist Church (and probably every other denomination), music is a hot button issue. And I 1000% agree that special care should be given to being contextually sensitive, especially when planning public church events. But still…the message almost made my head explode…I mean really?! (I’ll admit…the timing didn’t help).
To be fair, I know the writer of the email meant no harm and even approached the subject with a fair amount of tact, citing several others who were concerned as well. Still, this isn’t the first time this issue has gotten under my skin…and it’s not only one side that gets under my skin either…I am an equal opportunity aggravatee.
On one side you have the type of people who want to plug in and “turn it up to 11” that they might rock out for Jesus (and no cursing = Christian) while on the other you find people who can’t take the time to recognize “’Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus” because it is being played on a guitar with a shaker and therefore offensive and unbearable.
I don’t have all the answers…and in earnest I have no right to tell somebody what is and is not offensive to them. However, I can’t help but wonder how people use the same Book to support their opposite and equally unbalanced views on this issue.
I mean honestly, do people really believe that heaven will be a sanctified Metallica concert all the time? That because we are so overcome with the joy of our salvation we can’t help but yell and run around?
Likewise, do people honestly assume that heaven will have a decimal meter? That clapping will be strictly off limits and God will calmly shake our hands at the back following the service?
Or is there a time for everything? Could it be that “everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial” depending on the situation? Could both sides have an appropriate time and place instead of constantly frowning on the other? Or have we spent so much time focusing on what makes us feel comfortable based on our upbringing, surroundings, and opinions that we have missed a principal based Bible that is meant to guide rather than force?
I wonder if instead of constantly trying to craft an argument that “proves it”, we might just call it what it is: personal preference. Couldn’t we just say, “Hey…this music sucks…because I don’t personally like it…” rather than “…because it’s wrong to like it”?
Is there solid right and wrong? Absolutely. The principal of cherishing life leads me to not murder…every time. That said, I still can’t find the Biblical principal that leads me to the conclusion of “if it involves rhythm, it is from Satan…every time.”
Part of me wants to get to heaven and watch the shocked reactions of extremists on both sides as Jesus lays out the balanced principals that govern the universe (including music), and the other part of me knows he won’t have to because the people that made it already have a grip on them. Why? Because all of those same principals can be discerned right here, right now through the study of God’s Word in combination with prayer for understanding and an open heart to accept truths, even when those truths open your eyes to problems in areas you thought you had nailed down.
So lesson learned. Children’s Voices + Solo Piano = Successful Event. Now that I know the stumbling block, I won’t put it in the sidewalk anymore. But please, cut me some slack and just call it what it is. I can work with that and we can move on.
And I promise I won’t rant anymore…Until I hear one more person stand up and present in hushed tones of the shocking “brand new” trend called “postmodernism” (excuse my language) that is “taking our church by force.” (Gasp! Whimper…)
“Excuse me sir in the back…Solomon is it? I’m going to have to kindly ask you to pipe down with this “nothing new under the sun” business…we’re trying to have a meeting here…”
5 comments:
I feel you my brother. Where do we find balance in some of these "preference" issues? Is it always okay to pander to the most conservative member of your audience? Do we sometimes need to grab three cords and clear the temple so that the youth can sit at the feet of Jesus?
To some a wafer but to others a slave driver. At what point do we understand that worship transcends culture? Or are the rural beats of the African plain the sad reminder that our dear brothers and sister still need the white's saving hymns. Each is appropriate in their own time.
Sorry that was so disappointing bro. Take heart, I saw Jesus there in the crowd hanging out with the kids. I think His hair was long and he had a beard.
Continue to go with the calling that God has for you my friend. Be intentional about worship. God has your back. Do what God calls you to do and forget the rest. (Just go with your six pack, aka gut.)
I think I like your blog even more than you like mine. Because you say exactly what I would want to say if I could be as creative as you, and as articulate. But anyway...yes, this issue has been under your skin since you were about five and arguing with Mom about why you wanted to play the loudest "Glad" song ("Bey-ah-bah-bah-da"), and I have seen you mature with a balanced perspective ever since. I've also watched you handle differences of opinion with God's help in ways that have given me a lot to think about--with honesty and grace. There's probably more I could say, but it's really the same thing you already said. Finally, since you corrected me in my blog (referring to "the God"), I would also like to point out that a "principal" is an educational administrator, while as "principle" is the big points you are referring too. (Just remember "pal"= person. :)
P.S. Disregard my typos in the last sentence of my comment as I arrogantly and hypocritically pointed out your faults. :)
Music. Yes-- big issue.
This is a big topic because its emotional, it hits us at the core of our worship, and it forces us to examine (consciously perhaps, or, more likely, without these terms) our understanding of form versus content and meaning in experience.
Be encouraged, Brother Keele: there's more to ministry than concerned emails ;) But then again, you know that.
ahhh, well put Donnie. I too want to say the same thing out here. . .
Post a Comment