Friday, January 29, 2010

feelings...

I woke up this morning to sunbeams streaming through the glass door next to my side of the bed. I stretch and yawn and inhale a deep gulp of life-giving air. What a feeling. Piles of snow on the back porch remind me of the crisp chill of winter which bangs its icy fist on my door trying to get into my home. But warm hearts and a warm fireplace are always enough to keep the winter where it belongs: outside.
I look over at my still sleeping wife and I feel. What a treasure. What a small piece of heaven that blissfully breaths at my side. I feel some more. I get up and do what everybody else does when they first get up: check my facebook. Did anyone care about me through the night? Did people on the East Coast find my status update funny when they awoke 3 hours earlier? Indeed, 5 notifications! I feel! Ah, but one is merely reminding me that there might be people I'm related to. Two more are prefab questions from somebody I barely know wanting to find out if i think they would set me free from a closed locker or help me pick up my books in HS. Only a couple of legitimate comments are present. *sigh* I feel again.
As I go through my day I can't help but feel. I slip and fall on the ice: feelings. I hear a bird singing a heavenly melody: more feelings. I shovel snow, eat meals, build fires, fill up my car with gas, pay too much for cell service, see a deer...so many feelings.
They are stacking up now. A small pile of them in the corner goes unnoticed at first but now they have become the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They crowd the living room blocking my view of the TV, bump elbows with me at the table, and pound on the bathroom door to rush my business.
It's too cold outside...I can't put them there. Mr. Winter would surely wring their little necks until they die. I can't shove them into the fireplace for they would cry out in pain and only grow larger...oh these feelings...where can I put them?

hahaha...yeah right...I'm not putting my feelings on the internet. Truth told I hate the idea of blogging. Even more true: I hate the word "blog". However, I hated Jack Johnson's music when it was popular, I hated Myspace when it was popular, and I hated Facebook when it was popular. Each one of the above has dominated my life for a period of time and now, years after it became an internet sensation and all hopes of gaining large readerships and making money from this new and fascinating medium are gone, it's my turn to blog. After all, a little narcissism never killed anybody...oh wait....

1 comment:

kessia reyne said...

Listen, narcissism only killed that one guy, Narcissus. You'll survive.

And I totally relate to you about this hesitancy to blog; that was me, too. But it has been a great way for me to stay connected with the people that I want to influence my thinking, and it's way more meaningful than a comical photo comment or a status update. So there.